|Location||50° 37' N , 36° 35′ E|
|Original Name||Bet She'an|
|Founders||Khagan Yisrael (Igor) (843-897)|
|Location Function||New Capital and Palace|
|Etymology||Ancient Sarmatian city famed for its white limestone construction-the "white city"|
|Name Change||Belgorod (bélyj, “white, light”) and (górod, “city”)|
|Year Changed||13th Century|
|Change Group||Monk Laurentius (1377)|
Belgorod is a city in western Russia, situated on the Seversky Donets river just 40 km north from the Ukrainian border.
The name Belgorod in Russian literally means "a white city", name being a compound of (bélyj, “white, light”) and (górod, “town, city”). Its precise date of origin has been clouded by the false insertions into copies made of the Russian Primary Chronicle during the 13th and 14th century to hide the origin and religious origins of the Kievan Rus -- the original rulers that founded Belgorod, Novgorod and several other important cities such as Samara.
When the primary Sarmatian (Jewish) Khagan Priest-Kings moved from Samara (Odessa) up the Volga to found their new capital Ninevah (now called Nizhnii Novgorod to hide it as the original Novgorod) they continued the tradition of naming their major cities after famous Biblical places and lands that relate to the Sarmatian Jewish heritage.
The most likely date for the founding of Bet She'an (Belgorod) is around 843 at the beginning of the reign of the head of the reconstituted Khazar Empire --Khagan Bek Yisrael (Igor) (843-897).
The choice of the location and name of the city was almost certainly influenced by the ready supply of white limestone in the area as well as the religious prophetic significance of a "white city" in Jewish literature to the Sephardic Sarmatian Royal Priest family.
As a result, the claims of the city merely being founded as a fort are most likely false, with the city probably the new Capital and Palace for Khagan Bek Yisrael (Igor). This is supported by one of the only references surviving from this period which claims Vladimir had at least 300 concubines at a palace at Belgorod by 1000 CE.
Like much of this early period of Russian history, it is unknown how long Belgorod was the capital, nor precisely the events which led to its demise. It is possible the city was abandoned as the capital within two or three generations, or even as late as 1237 when it is recorded the city was destroyed by a figure called Batu Khan.
In 1596, the city was rebuilt by the order of Boris Godunov as a strategic centre in a string of defences of the Southern borders to defend from the Crimean Tatars.
Peter the Great visited it on the eve of the Battle of Poltava, and a dragoon regiment was stationed in the town until 1917.
It was occupied by Nazi Germany in October 25, 1941. During the great Battle of Kursk, the village of Prokhorovka in Belgorod Oblast was a stage of the largest tank battle in the world history (July 12, 1943).
It was finally liberated in August 22, 1943 after this battle.